What’s up with our legs?

By | Friday, April 25, 2003 at 1:20 pm

Gee, almost missed getting ANY news posted this month! Well, Sandy’s been struggling with a partially fractured/sprained ankle this month.  The doctor said it’s an common injury where the muscle, when pulled can tear off a small piece of bone from the ankle, resulting in sort of a break/sprian.  She didn’t require a full cast on the foot, but she now has a removable supportive “boot” she has to wear for 4-6 weeks, and a smaller brace she can also wear to lessen the pain.  She’s getting around though, and still working her butt off to get things wrapped up at CirQon.

I’m also struggling with a leg problem this month.  A few weeks ago one evening I started feeling weak all over and was running a fever.  I figured it was the flu, so I rested that night.  The next day it was worse.  Sandy kept checking my temperature and it kept rising.  At just over 104F we decided I’d better take a cold shower to cool down.  Upon removing my pants I discovered my entire lower right leg from my knee to my ankle was bright red and swollen!  Sandy called the doctor for me (the next day–I wanted to wait and see if it got better on its own) and the doctor told us to go to the emergency room immediately, and said I could die.  We did, and I was put on IVs immediately and told it was an infection, most-likely from bacteria getting in through my foot.  (I’ve had problems with my feet since I burned both of them on hot sand when I was younger).  After a few hours of IVs and medication, I was sent home.  I saw my doctor a couple days later and he didn’t like the looks of it.  For an entire week, once per day he had me get an IV of antibiotics from the hospital, as well as prescribing an antibiotic pill and pain medication.  The week went fairly well, and the leg started getting better.  I took the week off of work, per Doctor’s orders and kept it elevated a lot.

At the end of that week I woke up with a rash.  It was worst around my right knee, just above the infection, but it covered my entire body and itched like crazy.  We called the doctor, and they said it was probably an allergic reaction to the antibiotics, and I made an appointment to see the doctor again following day.  By that time the rash was worse, and boy was I itching!  After the examination the doctor confirmed the allergic reaction and switched me to another antibiotic and an allergy pill to help with the reaction effects.  At this point the infection is much better, now down to only a small remaining red area on my leg, and the rash is almost completely gone.  I feel much better, with just a slightly sore leg at this point.  The doctor said they can’t be sure if I’m allergic to the IV antibiotic or the oral antibiotic I had been taking though.  I’d have to go see an allergist to narrow that down.

But I’m getting better, and it feels good.  Now all we have to worry about is our jobs–It looks like at the end of June/Early July we’ll both be unemployed at this point.  That’s the latest we’ve heard so far.  I’m continuing to seek out interesting computer job prospects, and Sandy’s probably just going to pick up whatever extra hours she can get from her Society’s Assets job and leave it at that.